“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters, compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

HW-420 Unit 8

My favorite exercises were the subtle mind practice and the Loving-kindness practice. Both are found in Dacher's book. The subtle mind exercises really taught me to regulate my breathing and use it to relax my mind. I have been working on taking deep breaths when I feel overwhelmed, stressed and anxious. It really helps my body and mind calm down

Loving-kindness practice makes me work, it is really reaching into the depths and letting go and letting love in.
I will use both practices in my personal life to foster "mental fitness". The subtle mind exercise utilizes breathing to calm the body and the calm body to relax the mind. In this way it is training the brain through mental fitness to regulate emotions and the bodies’ response to them.
The Loving-kindness practice would be done at the same place where I would be spend time each day thinking about the ones that I love, the ones who were not so nice to me that day, and include the one who have not be so great to me in previous times and let the love flow...

5 comments:

  1. Hi Afrin,
    I could not say it better myself. I also chose those two exercises to relax myself when I am stress out and to send my love to those who special to me in my heart and for those who need to feel this emotion. In today's world it can be very difficult to feel love when there is war, famine and other things that can despair the spirit of a person. Take care, by the way nice picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Afrin, I really like those two exercises too. I find that they have added a new demension to my life that wouldn't otherwise explored except for this class. I love how the sublte mind has helped me relieve stress and how the loving kindness has helped me reach out to others to help them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Afrin, I could not agree with you more. These practices does make you work harder to meet the qualifications in order to be successful in the practice. I like the idea because it gives me the motivation to make a change within me and a difference not only in my life but in the life of others through my new and improved actions, thoughts, feelings and reactions. Good luck as you continue to persue a better you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think there is a common love of the Subtle Mind practice.

    I wanted to say that I have enjoyed your blog, discussion posts and seminar interaction.

    Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have noticed that each meditation exercise suits a different purpose -- though all produce a loving and joyful state, it is different in variance of feeling for me.... for example the deep breathing, subtle mind techniques are very calming and peaceful, the loving kindness meditation expands the consciousness and opens the mind up to positive love and energy, the visualizsation meditations help you to re-experience the most joyful and glorious moments or times of your life... each exercise has a purpose and can be recalled to recenter yourself, at will.

    ReplyDelete