Compare and contrast the Loving Kindness exercise and the Subtle mind exercise.
When I did the Loving-Kindness exercise first time I had a very hard time visualizing or using my imagination to get the full benefit of the practice but when I participated in this exercise the second time the thoughts of others who are suffering permitted me to address the spirituality involved in accepting others sorrows and pains. I enjoyed the subtle mind exercise much more than the loving kindness exercise. It really gave me a sense of calmness by using my breathing as a distraction from all the thoughts that I had in my mind. It was easier to calm my mind by not thinking. I liked the visualization of using our breathing it really helped me focus more on each breath. Great exercise that I will definitely practice it.
The connection of the spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness
It is really amazing how the whole body is intertwined and connected. It works as a system and when one part of it is not functioning well, the other parts struggle as well. Our body, emotion, mind, energy body and soul together form the whole person. It is only by dealing with each part of the whole within the whole, that we can have vital and energetic health. Physical wellness combines emotional, spiritual and mental wellness. Spiritual wellness can establish serenity and harmony in our lives. I like to consider myself a very spiritual person, whether it's through prayer or deep meditation in a quiet room before bedtime, I can honestly feel the difference both mentally and physically. Being mentally well is intertwined with being physically and spiritually well. Mental wellness is being emotionally well and able to express positive and negative feelings appropriately. Since a calm mental state reduces stress, this will thus also enhance physical health as well. This proves that each aspect of a mental, physical, and spiritual state of being are important when it comes to a complete sense of health.
Hi Afrin,
ReplyDeleteWe had similar experiences with the mind exercises. I really enjoyed the subtle mind exercise and felt that wonderful sense of calmness wash over me. The sounds of the water in the background were mesmerizing.
Your description of the connection of spiritual wellness to mental and physical wellness is beautifully stated! Every part of our being affects the other parts. I work with a trainer who tells the class how important it is to work out the whole body. To ignore one part sends the brain a message that the unused part is not needed anymore. That part will then begin to atrophy and eventually die. We need to tell our whole bodies - physical, emotional, and spiritual - we need all of you functioning at peek levels. No atrophy! :)
Sherry
I love how the body, mind and spirit are so integrated, and how they each effect each other... I do think that starting with the spirit, our spiritual nature is the key to controlling the benefiting the other elements, if you start with mindfullness, prayer and meditation first, then the spirit helps calm the mind and body, it also effects the perspective and thought processes, which also send messages biologically that control our health and body.
ReplyDeleteI think that the subtle mind meditation, deep breathing practices would be most benefical as a prelude to the loving and kindness mediation... and these both would be participatory or prepatory to a state of prayer ..
I love how you explain how physical wellness is intertwined with spiritual and mental wellness. It is so true. Our physical state depends on those. Think about it, if a person continues to have chronic stress or is negative all the time it will wear down the physical state of the body. It can create diseases that then test out spirituality. They are all connected.
ReplyDelete